What is Laser Hair Removal and What to Expect?
Laser hair removal is a popular procedure that uses a laser — an intense, pulsating beam of light — to remove unwanted hair.
During laser hair removal, a laser beam passes through the skin to an individual hair follicle. The intense heat of the laser damages the hair follicle, which inhibits future hair growth. Laser hair removal is most effective for people who have light skin and dark hair. But great results have come to those not of that category. Laser hair removal is not effective on white, grey or blonde body hair.
It typically takes multiple laser hair removal treatments to provide an extended hair-free period. Periodic maintenance treatments might be needed as well. The number of treatments you may require will depend upon the area you wish to have treated, the hair density and your hair’s growth cycle. This cycle is influenced by many factors: age, ethnicity, weight, hormones, diet, medication and metabolism. Some hair is more resilient and therefore more resistant to treatment. Once the treatment regimen is complete, it may be necessary to come in for maintenance treatments, if there is regrowth.
Before your Laser Hair Removal Procedure:
- Please shave the entire area you desire treated the day before your planned treatment. We assess a shaving service fee of $20 per area and can only be performed if adequate time is available to perform that service. Appointments for unshaven clients will be rescheduled and a late cancellation fee of $25 will apply.
- Use a broad spectrum SPF 30 (or greater) sunblock before AND after your treatments. No natural or artificial tanning (which includes tanning beds and spray tans) anytime within 2-3 weeks before your session.
- Anyone pregnant is not a candidate for laser hair removal services.
- Avoid exfoliating agents like Retin-A, alpha or beta hydroxy acids, toners or any irritating creams for one week prior.
- Do not apply any perfumes, deodorant or make-up to the desired area the day of your treatment.
After your Laser Hair Removal Procedure:
- No deodorant for 24 to 48 hours if underarm was treated.
- Immediately after your treatment there likely will be some slight redness, swelling around the hair follicles and mild discomfort similar to a sunburn. You may use EltaMD Enzyme Gel to help soothe any redness or swelling. Cool packs may be applied.
- You may also notice during and immediately after your session the smell of burned hairs. This is normal.
- Do not rub, or pick the treated area. Do not use any loofahs or abrasive scrubs for at least 5 days.
- Avoid strenuous sports activities or hot water/ saunas/ jacuzzi for 3 days.
- EltaMD Enzyme Gel daily, to keep the area moist and assist in healing.
- Continue to use sunblock for the duration of your treatments.
Scheduling your Next Treatment:
- After your treatment, the hair may appear to grow for up to two weeks. This is simply the treated hair being shed from the follicle, and is not new growth.
- Shaving is recommended between sessions and is recommended the day prior to your next appointment.
- Your session typically is scheduled in four weeks for facial areas, six weeks for torso and eight weeks for below the waist. Interruption of this schedule may cause less than optimal results.
- Electrolysis, waxing, threading, tweezing or plucking is to be avoided between sessions, however shaving is encouraged.
Call for complimentary consultation to discuss treatment areas and pricing. Pricing available in single sessions, multiple session packages and monthly membership plans to meet your budget.